The Adventure Continues

...in South America, leaving September 2019 

Friday, December 8, 2017

Bangkok



We have spent 1 full day, and 2 half days in central Bangkok. The city is huge, some 8.3 million people. We have walked in some poor areas, very close to tourist sights, and these areas remind me of Kathmandu 20+ years ago, more than any other place I have been. But no roaming animals, except dogs, cats, and pigeons, which look identical to ours at home.

Link to Bangkok



We did not see the central business district, if such a thing exists, presumably somewhere by all the many skyscrapers we saw at a distance. There are ultramodern malls, and tall buildings spread around the city, and Craig admired fancy cars, from behind barricades, in one mall... Neither did we get to see where middle class people live, except some of the suburban homes visible from the train.
The streets are noisy and crowded, motorcyclists are everywhere, there was LOTS of street food available almost everywhere we walked; it amazes me the street vendors, and the merchants in their open small stores, find buyers for all the stuff one sees. But they must, as I also saw guys bring in box-loads of more stuff.
Many locals wear face masks to prevent the spread of bugs, even if they only think they are sick (this per a quick google search, as we saw them 'everywhere'). A nice custom!
Craig, in his post, wrote our tuk-tuk ride was thrilling - I would call it a one-time-experience, which we nicely survived. Don't think I feel like looking up accident statistics, but Thailand ranks high I know, and now we know why.
But admit I admired the fare collectors on the canal boats when they walked around the gunwale of the boat, on the outside of the rope, many with helmets on their heads, but balancing in flip flops, wearing socks..

The Grand Palace was a bit too grand for a simple Finn like me - overwhelming in all it's gold, and detail, on such a large scale. I believe tourists only get to see it from the outside; it is used for ceremonial events nowadays. Next door almost, there is a large area with many huge temples. I decided not to go in., as I was too overwhelmed.
There are Buddhas everywhere in the city, and also pictures of the King, and other family members. Whenever a local person, e.g. a tour guide, mentions a Buddha, they bow slightly, with hands together like they did in Nepal when greeting you with Namaste.
In contrast to all this, I very much liked the simplicity of the Democracy Monument. At least it looks so streamlined, and clean, while still being large and impressive, compared to all the gold elsewhere.

Craig humored me, and we walked miles, as this is how I like seeing a new city. He navigates using his phone, and I took us down small alleys, not always going in the right direction.. The one sad comment I have, is that in these few days, I became cynical. When a local person struck up a conversation, e.g. when we probably looked lost trying to decide where to go next, it seemed they always tried to sell you something.
Hope things will be different in Chiang Mai. This is the 2nd biggest city in Thailand, in the north, and close to the mountains, and where we hope to bike again.
We are now at the airport, on our way there, and our world traveler American friend Muffy, will take us out to dinner there tonight. We will stay at 'her' Guest House, and am confident this will be a good place to plan the next few weeks from. Muffy knows this area, and the owner is Irish, married there, and has a nice, helpful website.

No comments:

Post a Comment